The House at the Golden Ring presents the permanent exhibition Prague of Charles IV – Medieval Town that introduces the metropolis and its transformation under Charles IV and other Luxembourg rulers. Another permanent exhibition, Prague 1606, is a unique presentation of the life in Prague under Rudolf II through the moving Sadeler's Prospect. The house also organises temporary exhibitions and various public cultural events.
110 00 Prague 1 – Old Town
view the map
Tel. – Ticket office: +420 601 102 961
Metro: line A to Staroměstská stop
Tram: no. 17 to Právnická fakulta stop; nos. 8, 24, 26 to Dlouhá třída or Náměstí Republiky stops
Bus: no. 207 to Dlouhá třída or Náměstí Republiky stops
The building is barrier free.
Open daily 9 am–6 pm except Mondays
28. 10. open 9 am–6 pm
One ticket for the entire building. Tickets are sold at the ticket office or online. The last ticket can be purchased 30 minutes before closing time.
Regular: CZK 180
Reduced (7–26 and 65+): CZK 80
Family (max. 2 adults and max. 4 children under 15): CZK 390
– Children under 6, visitors with disabilities
– Holders of the cards ICOM, ICOMOS, AMG, Zväz múzeí na Slovensku
– 1 teacher accompanying 10 students or interest group members
– Licensed guide with a group of at least 10
– The Prague City Museum Friends' Club
– Prague Card
– Lectures and programmes (children and adults): CZK 80/person (valid from 1 Sept 2021)
– Student and interest groups over 10 members (primary, secondary, vocational schools, up to 20): CZK 60/person (valid from 1 Sept 2021)
History of the House at the Golden Ring
The beginnings of the House at the Golden Ring are related to its immediate proximity with the Tyn Court which in the Middle Ages served as a fortified refuge for foreign merchants arriving in Prague. Under the protection of Bohemian princes and kings, the merchants could lodge as well as store, declare, and sell their goods there. In the past, there was a defence trench as part of the fortification on the site of today's House at the Golden Ring. In the 13th century, the trench was backfilled and replaced by a barrier wall. Its fragments with embrasures have survived in the house's interior.
The house received its current layout in the second half of the 15th century by joining together two older houses. The earliest building stage is evidenced by two Early Gothic cellars, which survived in the house, dating from the second third of the 13th century. Further renovations took place throughout the 14th century. The first written record about the house dates from 1402, and it was first called the House of the Golden Ring (ad aureum anulum) in 1429.
Regarding the early period, fragments of Late Gothic murals have survived on the first floor as well as the Renaissance painted ceiling from the 16th century. The house was substantially renovated around 1609 when it was raised by another storey. The Late Renaissance oval skylight window above the entrance portal comes from that time as well as the crested vaults and spiral staircase in the entrance hall. The interiors were later partially renovated. In the 19th century, the courtyard balconies and outside facades were rebuilt in the Classicist style and the house sign – a 17th century relief of a ring – was replaced with a copy.
In the years 1990–2016, the Prague City Gallery administered the house and reconstructed it under the supervision of the architect Vlado Milunić. During the reconstruction, joist ceilings and murals were restored.